You can also find lots more legal visuals at our sister site Visual Law Library.
Policy Design examples
What are better ways to display privacy policies, terms and conditions, and other ‘fine print’ to get rules and policies across?
- How to Make Privacy Policies both GDPR-Compliant and Usable by Karen Renaud and Lynsay ShepheredA 2018 piece describes some new strategies, using usability-oriented design, to present privacy policies in better ways. Its basic design pattern is a summary table, with icons and some call-out boxes … Read more
- Grocery Store terms of service redesignThe Simplification Centre has a ‘Simple Action’ report on how to present better Terms of Service through a visual redesign, with an example from UK grocery chain Tesco.
- Redesigned rental agreement for landlords-tenants from the Simplification CentreAnother project from the Simplification Centre is a redesign of a UK rental agreement — a contract between a landlord and tenant. Their redesign features more task-based layout, clearer tables of who … Read more
- YouTube’s terms of service through a jargon-free video explainerIn true YouTube style, a YouTube user has made a straightforward, image-rich explainer video of what the legal document says. It was made by Emily Murphy for a course, and provides … Read more
- Apple TOS redesigned: a concept proposalSavannah College of Art and Design graduate Gregg Bernstein has a revised version of Apple’s Terms of Service, which improves upon the layout while still keeping the traditional look and the … Read more
- Financial Privacy Notice for printAnother design from US regulators, this time for print-based notices about financial companies’ privacy policies for customers’ data. This was also led by the Kleimann Group.
- Mortgage details and explainersThe Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has an array of designs to help people understand their mortgage deals.
- Online Financial Privacy Notice from US regulatorsUS regulators decided to set a standard for how financial companies can present their privacy information to users. They went through a lengthy design process to create this ideal design.
- Parking Schedule designA mock up of a better kind of Parking Schedule design from a designer in LA.
- Music video airline disclosure, safety dance on VirginThis was Virgin Airline’s mandated disclosure, as done as a music video, that I saw on a recent flight to LA. And Behind the Scenes of the video: — From a … Read more
- Aza Raskin’s privacy redesign projectThe designer Aza Raskin tackled the design of privacy notifications & policies several years ago. His blog details his (and his co-designers’ and experts’) process to try to make more readable … Read more
- Privicons projectThe Background of the Privicons Project gives a wonderfully resourced summary of their privacy design project. The Project’s Development Recently there have been numerous approaches for simplifying privacy policies by the … Read more
- A Redesigned Parking Sign So Simple That You’ll Never Get TowedHere is a piece on notice design, A Redesigned Parking Sign So Simple That You’ll Never Get Towed | from Wired Magazine. It’s by Liz Stinson, from 07.15.14 Your car gets towed, … Read more
- Microsoft Privacy changes emailThis came as an email from Microsoft to its users, as an update of its Terms of Service & Privacy Policies.
- No Smoking Sign in China
- Parking sign in Palo Alto
- Bikes on Caltrain rulesA text-based visual on the window of a commuter train, to convey what the rules & restrictions are for people who bring a bike onto the train.
- Food regulations guideA visual navigator from CUP, for Vendors: Did you know you can get a $1,000 ticket for parking more than 18 inches from the curb? When you’re earning an average of … Read more
- Language Rights are Civil Rights infographic postersAnother great project from CUP, the Center for Urban Pedagogy, this time on language rights: The Project Description: If you don’t speak English in NYC and you’re trying to access government … Read more
- Housing Court navigatorAnother amazing infographic guide for a non-expert to navigate Housing Law, from the CUP team. Their project description: Your faucet is leaking, there’s mold in the bathroom, and your landlord is … Read more
- Housing Court HelpFrom CUP’s amazing design/public service operations: Their project: Housing Court Help Many tenants in NYC’s hectic housing courts don’t know that they have the right to ask for realistic terms for … Read more
- Airline terms of serviceFrom Cynthia Lee: For a sample of bad text design, the incidental charges airlines create for customers, who travel internationally, are especially convoluted and annoyingly complex, especially involving luggage fees. Here … Read more
- Phone Tracking Disclosure
- Personal Info Disclosures
- How to obtain a motorcycle licence in the UK flowchartHow to obtain a motorcycle licence in the UK – TDL | London.
- ITunes TOS Redesignvia Rethinking the design of the ‘terms of service’ agreement – SmartPlanet. Rethinking the design of the ‘terms of service’ agreement By Andrew Nusca Design student Gregg Bernstein looks at the … Read more
- Tax Form self-assessment designsHere is a short article about tax forms — that includes discussion of how not only forms can be laid out better, but how legal & financial terminology can be presented … Read more
- Berkeley No Smoking Sign
- Drive Like Your Kids Live Here signPeople That Ignore School Zone Signs Behave Badly « KRON4.
- 7,500 Online Shoppers Unknowingly Sold Their SoulsA computer game retailer revealed that it legally owns the souls of thousands of online shoppers, thanks to a clause in the terms and conditions agreed to by online shoppers. The … Read more
Other Legal examples
If you are trying to show how a legal process works, or how to be strategic about the law, how can you show this through visuals?
What can we learn from outside the world of law, to inspire better legal designs?